Unless you’re the kind of dyed in the wool 100%er who would no sooner miss a home game than eat a roadkill squirrel, the decision about whether to ‘go’ this week often centres around -
Can I afford it?
Recent form any good?
What’s the weather going to be like? (will I fry, soak or freeze)
Can I be arsed?
Recent form any good?
What’s the weather going to be like? (will I fry, soak or freeze)
Can I be arsed?
However, as avid followers of social media will know, these days there is so much more to consider – namely
DO I BOYCOTT?
Yes, do I actively decide that regardless of any of the above, I’m not going, to make a point. The precise nature of that point and its intended target obviously demanding a detailed summary in advance. Because what good is a boycott unless the whole world knows about it, and you get a warm glow of self importance to waft around.
As for reasons to boycott, take your pick -
Volunteers leaving
Unpaid bills
Clueless ownership
Lack of communication
Lies
Insults
The website sucks
So does AI
Pitch is too narrow
Pitch is too dry
Pitch doesn’t give enough assistance to spin
Scoreboard is broken
Didn’t like the scoreboard anyway
PA person can’t pronounce Fatadjo
PA person isn’t Pete Simcoe
All of the above
Unpaid bills
Clueless ownership
Lack of communication
Lies
Insults
The website sucks
So does AI
Pitch is too narrow
Pitch is too dry
Pitch doesn’t give enough assistance to spin
Scoreboard is broken
Didn’t like the scoreboard anyway
PA person can’t pronounce Fatadjo
PA person isn’t Pete Simcoe
All of the above
So many to choose from, so go ahead if it makes you feel better. The rest of us sad sacks will keep on turning up, because if you’ve lived through the likes of English and Imraan you learn just to hang on in there, and try amidst the chaos to gain some pleasure from supporting a bunch of players doing their best.
To those who might very reasonably say, I'm very unhappy with the way the club is being run and want to register that, what else can I do but stay away?
Organise a demonstration, make a banner, stage a sit in, go on local radio, do a podcast, hand out leaflets (our ideas are so 90s!), sing songs, hell even write a blog that no one reads - there are many options all of which aren't necessarily counter productive. But no one benefits if the team are running out to an echoey ground, falling gates mean wage cuts and we are back in a downward spiral on the pitch as well as off.

No comments:
Post a Comment