Friday 28 May 2021

So old and grumpy nowadays

 I'm not entirely sure when I graduated from thrusting, youthful firebrand to boring old fart but I fear it was quite a while ago.  I should have noticed the mounting evidence over the years.  I suddenly felt the need to have a special thick pair of socks and gloves for matches held during the colder months.  I somehow acquired a flask for a nice cup of warming tea.  A hipflask manifested, comfortingly in my inside pocket.  

Players stopped being older than me.  They were the same age as me.  Then younger than me.  Then young enough to be my offspring, or even my offspring's offspring.  Then Managers went from being old men to being the same age as me to being younger than me.  It's also happened to club Chairman for crying out loud!

But the most telling sign of advancing years is that whenever you see a new Poppies kit the immediate reaction is to roll your eyes and declare it the worst kit ever.  And to prove it, this is just what I have done!

I mean, c'mon....the red kit's design makes it look like it's been repeatedly run over and I'm pretty sure we might be looking at another "PHS" kit malfunction where the red looks far pinker under floodlights.  And then the sponsor logo charmingly throws a bit of unwelcome green into the proceedings.  Which brings me to the away version, where we are making the (probably correct) assumption that none of our rivals are going to be pedantic with their choice of keeper's kits?  There's two main reasons no-one wears green.  It's  widely acknowledged by colourologists to be the least happy of colours.  And you tend to blend in with the playing surface.  Reasons enough to be wary when you already have players who can't spot each other with simple passes.....

Nice lads.  Naff kits




No comments:

Post a Comment