Friday 14 February 2020

We've been here, we've been there, we've been every f**king where!

At times we've all wondered if there are been any positives to from being buffeted around the divisions over the past decade.  It certainly hasn't been good for the blood pressure or a sense of self worth, but there has been one indisputable benefit - the amount of new grounds we have visited.  Sure, most have been poorly appointed little holes that have both depressed us for their basic nature, and depressed us even more because we'd probably swap most of them for Latimer Park!

The past 10 years has been a boon for racking up new places to visit, and then list them on websites such as this one: -



Although it is and has always been the policy of PATGOD to publicly frown upon the activities of Groundhoppers, I've become strangely fascinated with seeing just how many grounds I've visited in pursuit of the Poppies.  And no, I haven't bought metal club badges or half and half scarves on my visits....

The above website, Football Ground Map.com shouldn't be much of a surprise to a lot of you, as there are 90 Poppies fans already registered on it.  And some of you have racked up some seriously large numbers of visitations.  You sad, busy bastards!

I thought my current score of 150 grounds visited was pretty impressive, but Poppies fans seem to have a wanderlust that just can't be satisfied.  Somehow I'm in the top 3% of all users on this website, and yet am only just in the top 10% of Poppies fans!

The website makes it really easy to register where you may well have watched your team play.  Pretty much every division is fully listed with every club in each division, along with their current, and former grounds, so you can sometimes tick off 2 or 3 different grounds when playing the same opponents.  Mind you, regular visitors to the Poppies in the past decade will be registering a number of "hits."

I brought my list up to 150 during the recent visit to Altrincham.  I can't believe in all the years of playing against them I'd never made it to Moss Lane, but somehow I hadn't.  I was delighted to tick this stadium off my list.  Somewhat more delighted than the American couple who paid a hefty amount to watch their "beloved" Man City, but, due to a postponement had to settle for Stohrer, O'Connor and Kennedy rather than Aguero, Sterling and Mahrez.....! 


No comments:

Post a Comment