Monday 28 October 2013

And you thought Pedro had issues with the Poppies? You should read his thoughts on Formula One!


Does the procession that is Formula 1 point the direction in which football is going, at least at the "top" levels?  Yesterday, somebody won their 756th grand prix in a row giving them their 97th consecutive world championship.  Once upon a time I'd have been interested in it.  I used to manoeuvre my Sundays so that lunch would be just before 1 o'clock so I could a least see the start of a grand prix.  No more.  Yesterday, I didn't even need to manoeuvre anything to watch the start but instead I just read my Sunday paper.  I didn't even find out who'd won the race until the afternoon (although of course I knew who'd win it barring mechanical interventions).  Such was my (lack of) interest.
 
This is a "sport" with a rich European heritage that used to have multiple grand prix in several European countries.  The racing could be really exciting (some of us are old enough to remember Nigel Mansell's racing) and the title winner uncertain until the last race.  But nowadays it's a "formula" held at plastic circuits in kelptocratic countries watched by one man (no women of course!) and his dog, mainly on satellite TV owned by decrepit disgusting moguls (as the formula itself is).

How soon before football goes the same way?  In many ways it already has.  We know with six sigma certainty who the top 4 of the premiershite will be, and I'm no longer taking bets on Chelski actually winning it and it's only October!  As for the Shampions League, it hardly takes a genius to guess who'll probably be in the final (perm two from Farca, Fail Madrid and Bowow Munich).  And how long before games will be played at plastic grounds in kelptocratic countries watched by one man (no women of course!) and his dog, mainly on satellite TV owned by decrepit disgusting moguls (as FIFA itself is)?  The great luminaries at tee premiershite have already tried the idea!

Maybe football at our level will become more attractive because it is more honest, less predictable, and more genuine?

We can only hope!
 
Pedro.

No comments:

Post a Comment